Monday 1 December 2008

Reactions | We Care

Writing for ireport became quite adventurous when I posted my first report without expecting the reaction.

With in few minutes of posting, Christina Zdanowicz from CNN emailed and latter called to ask few questions about the post “We Care”. The call ended up quite long. She wanted to know why I wrote this report and how was Pakistan after the Mumbai attacks.

I told her that I read Indian reactions on irport.com and it hurts to see such abhorrence for Muslims and especially Pakistanis in their hearts. I just wanted to portray what whole of Pakistan is feeling about it.

We were in shock and disturbed even terrified that Karachi could be attacked like that too. In short the discussion got quit lengthy. Christina also said that “we care” was the only response they got from Pakistan!

She asked for permissions for using my report on CNN. Within an hour CNN.com published my ireport. It was an exciting experience for me to see for my first and totally unplanned report to be the highest rated, most viewed, most shared and with highest number of comments for two days!

The comments how ever, were mostly from Indians. Every few were the encouraging one. It was dispiriting to see two or three Pakistanis participating in the discussion. There was no one to respond to the all harsh comments that we were getting from Indians.

During this eye opening experience, a Canadian also posted a reply. He was 40 and his grandparents were British. He said that he is friends with both Pakistanis and Indians and have nothing against both. He even said that he read about British history and was too angry at his ancestors that why would they steel the jewels from the sub continent. And he actually apologized for the acts of his ancestors!

I will always remember the innocence and originality with which he wrote that. And I guess that’s what we need to do!

Let’s move on.

No comments: