Monday 24 November 2008

A Clue

I believe precious pearls of wisdom are scattered all around us. Just like those gold coins secreted in different places in 3d games. Most special ones are usually hidden inside the most unexpected places. I found two special ones by chance!

I was at a shop on Tariq Road, bought some fabric. I was holding bags in my right hand; hurriedly I took out my wallet and thoughtlessly handed over the money from my left hand to the old yet charming shopkeeper.

He was in his 80’s, wearing white kameez shalwar and a prayer’s cap. With a white beard, a mustache and a pleasing smile on his cuddly face he reminded me of Santa clause. He was just about to take money from me but he stopped, pulled his hand back, smiled and said, “Right hand please!”

It woke me up! Literally!
I quickly kept all things down, untied my other hand. Apologized and said thanks with all my heart for pointing out my mistake in the politest manner.

Just then the women next to me said that same thing happened with her and she never forgets to use her right hand to give or take something from others.

During my visit to the dentist yesterday, he handed over the card and I as usual had my mobile in my right hand, was about to use my left hand to get that card, but quickly realized my mistake and corrected it.

That was not the only inspirational experience that I had.

Last week, floor tiles of our terrace cracked due to some unexplainable reason. Two men worked to fix them. There was dirt all around; they have been hammering the floor since morning under the scorching sun. I peeked outside from the window to learn how the work was done. I expected to see tired and worn out men. But to my surprise I found them smiling and singing as they worked!

They were joking, and singing a Punjabi song softly but working whole-heartedly. They were enjoying their work under such uncomfortable conditions.

It’s true they might be used to working on such sites, but they could have been angry, frustrated, shouting and fighting as they worked. They were smiling instead; there was no sign of agitation or discomfort.

It taught me a great deal. And I kept standing there secretly; just to learn more from those two simple men.

I can never forget those smiling faces and the lessons that all three of them taught me. Two of them don’t even know about it!

We spend out lives searching for wisdom in books, over the internet but sometimes simple people teach you simple things that makes your life special.

I am still under the spell. The experience was like a clue, a flashing arrow that points towards the cross marked on the treasure map in a game.

Better keep my eyes open for treasure from now on!

~ Zahra

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool....